Virus writers are using various techniques to deliver malicious web page to internet users. One of this and the most common method these days is through browser hijacking. This technique is often used on popular browsers, and now even on Microsoft Edge browser. The tendency of hijacking Home page and Tabs of Microsoft Edge browser is simply to promote products or services. In some instances, the method is applied to deliver harmful pages with malicious intent. Obviously, attacker may use deceiving procedures to lure its viewer to click links or follow given instructions.
To be able to process the loop when hijacking your home page or tabs, malware constantly communicates to its server. This also gives the hijacker to execute whatever script is used for the loop. Thus, you must cease the communication between Microsoft Edge and the remote malware server.
1. Unplug your Ethernet or LAN connector if you are on a wired network.
2. Turn off your Wi-Fi Modem or Disconnect your if your Wireless access PC is connected on a wireless network.
3. Close Edge browser. If this is not possible, repeatedly hit Esc on the keyboard or click OK/Cancel button on the hijacker window.
4. Activate Airplane mode.
a. Click your Network/Internet Settings icon on the taskbar (bottom right of your screen).
b. Settings window will open. Choose Network and Internet.
c. Look at the left column and click on Airplane mode.
d. Turn on Airplane mode using the control on the right panel.
5. Launch Edge Browser and close the offending tab.
1. Restart Windows 10 (do not open Microsoft Edge browser).
2. Go to your Favorites folder. Typically it is on this location:
3. Under the favorite folder, double-click on any URL and it will open-up with Microsoft edge, assuming it is your default browser.
4. As the browser hijacker is still present on Microsoft Edge browser, you will still see it as an added tab. DO NOT CLICK on the hijacker tab.
5. Click X on the offending tab to close it.