Fake warnings and alerts are haunting some Microsoft Edge users with sticky pop-up alerts. These pop-ups may vary from simple software endorsements up to a highly fraudulent phone support scam. One thing that terribly affects web browser is the malware’s ability to alter Microsoft Edge settings that makes fake warnings to show up as a default page or tab. The malware also freezes the current window to prevent users from navigating away from the page. To help you with this kind of trouble, we have provided simple procedures below. The guide will help you close the fake Microsoft Edge warning and keep it out of the browser permanently.
To be able to process the loop when hijacking your home page or tabs, malware constantly communicates to its server. This also gives the hijacker to execute whatever script is used for the loop. Thus, you must cease the communication between Microsoft Edge and the remote malware server.
1. Unplug your Ethernet or LAN connector if you are on a wired network.
2. Turn off your Wi-Fi Modem or Disconnect your if your Wireless access PC is connected on a wireless network.
3. Close Edge browser. If this is not possible, repeatedly hit Esc on the keyboard or click OK/Cancel button on the hijacker window.
4. Activate Airplane mode.
- Click your Network/Internet Settings icon on the taskbar (bottom right of your screen).
- Settings window will open. Choose Network and Internet.
- Look at the left column and click on Airplane mode.
- Turn on Airplane mode using the control on the right panel.
5. Launch Edge Browser and close the offending tab.
6. Restart Windows 10 (do not open Microsoft Edge browser).
7. Go to your Favorites folder. Typically it is on this location: C:\Users\[Username]\Favorites\
8. Under the favorite folder, double-click on any URL and it will open-up with Microsoft Edge, assuming it is your default browser.
9. As the browser hijacker is still present on Microsoft Edge browser, you will still see it as an added tab. DO NOT CLICK on the hijacker tab.
10. Click X on the offending tab to close it.
11. Click “More actions” at the top right corner of the browser.
12. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
13. Under Settings, please go to Clear browsing data.
14. Click on Choose what to clear button.
15. Please select necessary data and click on Clear to apply changes.