There are several reasons why you may experience a browser redirect,however the most likely cause it’s a computer virus. When Google Chrome home page or new tab keeps on redirecting to various web sites, it means that some sort of malware is residing on the computer. In fact, Google Chrome redirect is not the only issue on a malware-infected system. New Tab can also be affected. There are reports that New Tab of Google Chrome keeps opening on certain web address even without user’s action. In short, Google Chrome acts on its own as if it is under the control of virus or malware. Google Chrome redirecting to malicious web sites seems to be part of daily malware activities. Crooks are utilizing this scheme to deliver web traffic to client’s web sites. In return, they are getting paid for an amount of diverted visitors. Browser redirect viruses are not something new and malware developers have been using this technique for years to generate traffic to their sites,gathering search terms and redirect users to websites from where they’ll receive a commission or some sort of revenue. Your browser can be redirected while you do a Google, Yahoo or Bing search and in this case the malicious programs will hijack you search results and redirect you to similar websites.
This article is a comprehensive guide, which will remove any browser redirect infections that may reside on your computer. And if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, then we strongly advise you follow this guide to check and remove any infection that you might have on your computer.
Step 1, Scan with an anti-malware program:
Reason Core Security uses industry-leading technology to detect and remove all traces of malware, adware, PUPs and more. It is important to note that Reason Core Security works hand-in-hand with your existing anti-virus software without any conflict and should be run together. If you already have an anti-virus installed and it is not detecting this adware you can safely run Reason Core Security side-by-side without having to uninstall anything.
- Donwload Reason Core Security.
- Once downloaded run it directly from your web browser or by double-clicking on the icon on your desktop or your downloads folder named “reason-core-security-setup.exe<” to start the installation of Reason Core Security.
- When the installation begins, you will see the Reason Core Security Setup which will guide you through the installation process.
- Once installed, Reason Core Security will automatically start a quick “welcome” process. When this completes it will run an initial scan which should find this and all additional adware threats on your computer. When it finds it and the scan completes, you will be asked to run a quick or full scan, which we recommend as other malware might be hiding on your computer too.
- After the scan you will see Chrome hijacks and other malware, adware and PUPs Reason Core Security has detected. Check all items you want to remove and click the “Remove Checked” button.
- Reason Core Security will now quarantine all the malicious threats it has found. When removing these threats, Reason Core Security may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
- Once your computer has rebooted (only if required), you should be free of all adware and malware. After your computer restarts, you should open Reason Core Security and perform another quick scan to verify that there are no remaining threats. In addition if your web browser was hijacked, Reason Core Security should have fixed and removed the threat as well. Should you have any questions, they offer great customer support as well as an online forum to help remove tricky malware at fourm.reasoncoresecurity.com
Step 2, Reset Google Chrome Settings:
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, please type chrome://settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Show advanced settings…‘ at the bottom of current page.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset settings button.
6. On confirmation window, please click Reset button. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome.
Step 3, run Software Removal Tool:
Malware and adware may reside on the computer without user’s knowledge. Tricks were used to accomplish this and one of which is by bundling malicious files to free programs. Sometimes, removing adware extension from Google Chrome is enough to fix the issue. If that doesn’t work, we recommend using Software Removal Tool from Google to find and delete harmful extensions automatically.
1. Download Software Removal Tool (this link will open on a new window).
2. When prompted for Terms of Service, please click Accept and Download.
3. Save the file to Desktop or any folder of your choice.
4. Once the download has completed, double-click on the file software_removal_tool.exe.
5. The tool will search the computer for malicious programs that produces toolbars, pop-ups, redirects, and home page hijacking.